Thursday, March 24, 2011

Oklahoma River Trails

The Oklahoma River trail has become one of my favorite places to ride. I started riding the river trails last summer after the Lake Hefner trails got just too crowded. In addition to the crowds, the Hefner trail also has several road crossings. The river trails have none of these problems, there are no road crossings and far fewer people. I normally start from the S.W. 15th and Meridian parking area on the south side of the river. Riding from the parking area to the east end of the trail, then to the west end, then back to the parking area is an even fourteen miles. That is a good distance for an evening workday ride for me. When I want more miles sometimes I will combine both the north and south trails crossing over the river at Portland  and at Robinson. The river is one of the most scenic rides in the metro area. There is a unique combination of rowers on the water, blooming red buds lining the trail and the Oklahoma City skyline in the distance.

1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic! I wish I knew about this trail when I lived in the city. I'll have to ride it when I come back to visit!

    ReplyDelete