Thursday, March 31, 2011

Finally, A nice day

The planets aligned today and I was finally able to get out and ride after work. The sun was out, the temperature was in the 70's, the wind was rough, but you can't have everything. The wind was 24 gusting to over 30. There were a few sections where I using my lowest gears riding into the wind. My bike has a triple crank set, so the low gears are really low.
Another plus for today was the new riding shorts that I had ordered arrived today. One of the indicators of the quality of riding shorts are the number of panels used in the construction. Shorts with more panels are supposed to be more comfortable. My old shorts have six, the new have 8. To tell the truth, I could not detect any improvement. Maybe my opinion will change when I wear them on a longer ride, but right now I think the quality of the chamois may be more important than the number of panels.  The chamois is the pad in the seat of cycling shorts. Back before synthetic materials were used, the shorts were wool and the chamois was actually made from chamois. Modern materials are now used, but the basic design of cycling clothing has changed very little in decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment