Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Net Book

My net book is my favorite tech toy. I am using my net book to compose this blog post which allows me to work sitting on the couch instead of being tied to my desk ten feet away on the other side of the room. While net books are relatively low powered, I do not find that much of problem in day to day use.  In addition to the routine internet applications, email, facebook, blogger, I have extended the usefulness of my net book with some well known and not so well known applications.

1. Kindle for PCs. This free application from Amazon was one of the factors in my decision to purchase a net book.

2. Adobe Digital Editions. This is a free application that is great for reading and managing pdf collections.

3.  Wootalyzer. This is a utility for monitoring woot-offs.

4. Microsoft Silverlight. This was needed to stream netflix videos.

5. Garmin Mapsource. Mapping software for use in conjunction with a GPS.

6. OBDwiz. This is used with a USB - OBD2 scan tool to turn your computer into an automotive diagnostic device.

In addition to the software the hardware adds to the usefulness. The hard drive is large enough to keep a backup copy of my photos and music. The built in card reader simplifies camera downloads. The small size, light weight, and long battery life make the net book an indispensable traveling accessory.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed! I love my little netbook. I was hesitant to get one at first. I didn't think it would "do" enough. But, after test driving some friends netbooks, I was sold. It does everything I need and 10x faster than the clunker laptop I have from work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - my first ever comment on one of my blog posts. I'm glad you were gentle.

    ReplyDelete