Monday, February 16, 2009

Three Refuges

One step in becoming a "real" Buddhist is to receive the transmission of the three refuges. To me, receiving the refuges means that you accept the teachings of Buddha. I did not take that step lightly. It is one thing to take meditation classes and learn about Buddhism, and another to stand up and say "I am a Buddhist" (especially here in the bible belt).
The ceremony begins with repentance:
All the Harm I have ever done, since time immemorial,
Are caused by greed, anger, and ignorance,
And produced through my body, speech, and will,
Now I confess and amend all.
Three Refuges
I take refuge in the Buddha, unequaled in merit and wisdom, and never regress in perfecting Buddha virtues.
I take refuge in the Dharma, unequaled in freeing one from desires, and never regress in propagating the Buddha Dharma.
I take refuge in the Sangha, unequaled in all assemblies, and never regress in liberating sentient beings.
Four Great Vows
Countless are the sentient beings, I vow to liberate;
Endless are the vexations, I vow to eradicate;
Measureless are the Dharmas, I vow to learn;
Supreme is the Buddha Way, I vow to attain.

No comments:

Post a Comment