Friday, February 13, 2009

Heart Sutra

Buddha Gate, the San Francisco branch of Chung Tai, has a good translation of the Heart Sutra with annotations posted on the Dharma Teachings page of their web site. At Buddha Mind, the Heart Sutra is chanted at the beginning of every class before the start of the sitting meditation. My understanding of the Heart Sutra has progressed through several levels and is still progressing. When I was first given a copy in the beginner class, I used Wikipedia to find the translations of the Sanskrit words. A big step in my understanding occurred when I committed the Sutra to memory. The repetition that I needed to commit each new line to memory caused me to discover aspects of the Sutra that I never noticed before. Often while studying other Sutras and Buddhist concepts, the teachings will relate to, or expand upon subjects in the Heart Sutra.

No comments:

Post a Comment